Friday, June 22, 2012

What do they take us for?

I consider myself pretty level headed when it comes to the effects of advertising. However, I have been told that, when the ad or commercial is right, I can fall for almost anything. Maybe if i actually had money i would be one of those people who buys everything from the slap chop to the snuggie. (i do have a snuggie but that was a bit of an international trend for a while.)
Being alone for a big part of the day, I keep the TV on pretty much all the time, even if i'm not watching it. I can now hum or sing along to most jingles, even the local ones, and know most commercials/adverts far too well.
I would like to share some of my less favorite ones. Not only do they make me cringe, they make me angry, making me cry "WHAT DO YOU TAKE US FOR?!" Because at some point they cross the line of silly and jump right into straight up offensive. 'Your marketing team came up with this?! how much money did you spend on this piece of utter rubbish?' And as an actor I find it somewhat annoying that so many of the people in some of these commercials are just absolutely atrocious. I'm talking Harry Potter film #1 level of atrocity.
So without fuming any further...




I don't even know where to begin... So many things to hate- the jingle, the dancers, the location... The first time I saw it i laughed, a lot. Thinking it was ridiculous. The 70th time I just left the room. the saddest thing is that its still playing so it must be working... ugh!

Compare it with this hilarious Geico commercial. We all know that Geico can make a good commercial if they want. Not sure why the choose to fail every now and again though... The gecko one are never my favorite. Here is the extended version of Ronald's "total eclipse of the heart".





Now this one may just be me but I personally despise the voice this commercial. The idea and the videography are not bad but the one liners and the voice they chose? come on! could it be any more annoying? maybe its just me..






The next one is less about the commercial and more about the product. I kind of think this one is the new Snuggie. What on earth?






And lastly... some classics from the UK.











There are some horrendous ones that I failed to mention (nuvaring comes to mind but is just too shocking to talk about). And there are some fantastic ones this year. All in all, are the commercials becoming more interesting than the actual tv shows? hmm..

3 comments:

  1. So, Sensa. Are they sprinkling meth on their ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually love the cadburys gorilla commercial! I was sad when it stopped appearing on my tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone didn't read it right! These aren't all bad commercials. Some of them are my favorite.

      Delete