Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Because I have to..

So as a musical theater geek I have tried to avoid commenting on the new Les Mis movie coming out. However, there's something inside me that says that I have to have an opinion. This is a musical that EVERYONE claims, not only broadway fans but anyone who's anyone knows of the musical and a lot of people have only ever seen one (always either Les Mis or Wicked.)
So here we go.. Hugh Kackman and Russel Crowe I'm not overly worried about. I think they'll do a decent job. For some reason I think Hugh Jackman's face is too nice and kind looking but I'm willing to let that go.
The girl playing Eponine is wonderful. She was a finalist in a reality tv show to find the girl who played Nancy in 'Oliver' in the West End. She was so young then, about 17 I think. But she quickly got snapped up and has done really well since, including playing Eponine at 25th Anniversary concert. I really think she's wonderful (although she has a skinny skinny waist, sometimes strange looking). I hope that her talent and experience translates to film because lets be honest.. Taylor Swift was never going to do that role justice.
Amanda Seyfried annoys some people, she's very unique looking but, for me, she has played some fairly versatile roles and she can also sing (whether she can sing Cosette's stuff I don't know but i'm willing to see her try.)
Now, Anne Hathaway Anne Hathaway Anne Hathaway... Where do I start. I hate that I dislike her so much. I just can't enjoy her work and take her seriously unless she is Mia Thermopolis or something similar. I have already had close to a breakdown about the fact that she is cat woman in the most anticipated movie EVER. The trailer of Les Mis shows her singing "I dreamed a dream" and honestly it wasn't terrible. Sure, she doesn't have the vocal skill to out sing other Fantines but it was never really about the voice for me. The best Fantine I ever saw thought about the acting first (and had a killer voice) but it was so heart-wrechingly beautiful that I would not have cared if she cracked or missed a note. Having said that.. its not like Anne Hathaway acts the pants off role, or at least anything I have seen of her.
But I truly TRULY hope that she proves me wrong. As both Catwoman and Fantine. If she does, she will not only surprise 75% of the viewers but her career will take a serious change in pace and direction. Wow. So, no pressure Anne.

No comments:

Post a Comment